Janar Jandosova Sange Research Center,
Presentation for “Local Self-Governance as a base for democracy in a state” Round table, Astana, 2006, November 16, 2006.
- Nowhere in the world is there distinction of local governance on state and self-governance. Therefore, it is recommended to create different levels of self-governance. It is possible that it will happen when there are real elections of rayon mayors.
- Transfer all the subsidiary functions to a lower level.
- Reconsider distribution of budget expenditures in favour of increasing the share of local (rayon and rural) budgets up to 20%.
- Grant power to local bodies responsible for expenditure assignments and implementation control,
- Provide mass education before signing the law and assign financial resources for information programmes,
- Return referendum,
- Return public hearings,
- Write down responsibilities and provision of accountability and transparency of local self-governance bodies in front of the people.